Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Firekeepers of Jwalapuram by Vamsee Juluri (Book Review)



Book details 

 

Title – Firekeepers of Jwalapuram  

Author – Vamsee Juluri 

Genre – Fiction 

Publisher – Westland Publications Private Limited. 

No of pages – 315

 

Prime characters – Hanuman, Vaishnavi, Vishwamitra, Jambavanth, Riksharaja

 

Other characters – Tara, Ruma, Sugreeva, Angada, Buhab 

 

The Review 

In the past, I have reviewed some amazing mythological fictions and so I was excited to read this book. Unfortunately, I am so disappointed with this novel ‘Firekeepers of Jwalapuram’ by author Vamsee Juluri. While others must have had a pleasant experience and a good opinion about this book but I’d like to back my opinion with certain points.

 

When I started reading this novel, the first chapter gave me the impression of an interesting start. But by the time I reached page number 98, I realized that so many words and sentences are repeated innumerable times. I thought I was wrong and so I went back to page number 9 and I counted the number of same sentences and words that are repeated throughout the novel. 

 

The novel has to have well-crafted descriptions of people and places. I found there is no character building or creative descriptions of the places. I had to keep guessing the meaning of balances, matter, and Ganeshas. Words like students and squad could’ve easily been replaced with more appropriate words such as disciple and group. I didn’t get a single wow moment in this novel.

 

The words like boulders nodded, shouted, exclaimed, exhaled, slightly, some of them, the hunger of fire, looked, noticed, and smiled are used so many times that at one point I had to take a break from it. The language is very mediocre. The English language is rich with its descriptive words, idioms, comparatives and phrases but all I could read in this novel so many repetitive words. The approach taken in this novel is so casual like hey Buhu (short form of Buhab), old hag, newcomers, beast, dharma protection squad and creatures that it loses its authenticity. After the end of every sentence, a lot of adverbs have been used such as softly, fiercely, loudly, feebly, quietly, silently, encouragingly, indifferently, etc. 

 

Same words

 

Repeated

 

Smiled / a weak smile/ smiled awkwardly/wry smile/smiling

 

144 times

Nodded

62 times

Slightly

20 times

Laughed

57 times

Looked at each other/looked at /looked up

 

35 times

Shouted

43 times

Intently /stared intently

 

21 times

 

 

To back my opinion, there are some paragraphs and sentences that I’d like to mention here: 

 

PAGE NO 270

“Yet, Vali, from so close, looked very different from the powerful and awe-inspiring figure she had seen that night. He looked at them with a vacant expression and nodded slightly. He became distracted by something, perhaps a fly, and followed it with his eyes.” My question is why a powerful figure like Vali gets easily distracted by a fly? What does exactly the author want to establish here? Does Vali have a powerful or idiotic personality?  

 

PAGE NO 275

“Go on, go on, enjoy the family time,” Buhab said loudly. Jambavanth looked at him suspiciously. Ruma muttered something about Buhab to Vaishnavi and giggled.” – (I have shortened the paragraph)

Again, I don’t find anything funny in this paragraph but just a boring, non-conclusive paragraph for me. 

 

PAGE NO 280

“Jambavanth nodded and made some sounds softly as if trying to understand his different point of view honestly. – Why would he make sounds for what? What is this sentence suggesting? 

 

PAGE NO 82 

I couldn’t understand the objective of stone-pelting by the Kamdhenus incident mentioned in this novel. The description also does not sound authentic. 

 

PAGE NO 102

‘We are in a delicate position, ‘ Tara finally said. 

Sugreeva laughed cynically. ‘That is my mother…. About to be made into raw mango pachadi or a mishmash by these… by these… fools! (I’ve shortened this para) - Again this paragraph doesn’t make me smile. 

 

PAGE NO 222

In the process, he bumped into one of Riksharaja’s palanquin bearers. 

‘Idiot!’ she snapped at Buhab. 

The palanquin bearers chuckled. ‘Master idiot!’ they whispered. – What’s so funny in this incident? 

 

REPETITIVE AND MEANINGLESS SENTENCES AND WORDS 

On the same pages, sometimes it laughed, sometimes it is smiled. These words are sprinkled generously throughout the novel that made me put down this book and then begin reading again. 

 

1.      The fire burned in Vaishnavi’s head 

2.      The fire of anger rose in Vaishnavi once again. 

3.      He felt the fire of anger inside him

4.      Vaishnavi said, a confident smile in her eyes, though her face seemed strained by pain and concern.

5.      Hanuman allowed himself a smile too.

6.      He shook his head and smiled.

7.      Vishwamitra raised his eyebrows but calmed himself. 

8.      Always the children, always the same excuse Riksharaja said. 

9.      He got up and smiling 

10.  Ruma accepted his words with a smile.

11.  They looked at each other sheepishly. They looked at each other again – page no 83

12.  Ruma squeezed his hand and smiled. 

13.  Tara smiled, but said firmly. 

14.  She put it in her mouth, slightly curious, and slightly alert. 

15.  Dragging them here and there

16.  Here and there, they picked up long sticks. 

17.  Who took his instructions and ran here and there. 

18.  Tomorrow and tomorrow Vaishnavi added. 

 

The words like looked up, smiled, laughed, intently, looked at each other, stared, whispered, here and there are generously spread on the side by side pages so many times. AS A READER, I REALLY WANT TO JUSTIFY MY POINT AND I WANT TO BE VERY HONEST IN MY REVIEW AND SO I HAVE GIVEN THIS PAGE NUMBERS TO LOOK INTO. (P.S. I HAVE EXCLUDED SO MANY PAGE NUMBERS) 

116-117, 122-123, 136-137, 167, 174, 204-205, 227, 232-233, 234-235, 238-239, 241, 242-243, 262-263, 270-271, 278-279, 282-283, 286-287, 296-297, 303, 84-85, 102, 116, 122-123

 

WRITING STYLE 

I do not want to be harsh but this novel disappointed me in many ways and I do not like the fact especially when somebody uses extremely simple language. There is no clarity of the plot, places, or people. A lot of repetitive words and sentences make this novel quite dragging. 

 

THE BOOK TITLE & COVER 

The title is okay. The cover is perfect. 

 

Rating

1.5/5 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sponsored Ads

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *